Skip to Content
Call Us Today! 480-245-5550

Dealing With a Deadbeat Dad?


For divorced mothers, there is nothing more stressful than dealing with an ex-husband who is not paying their child support or spousal maintenance payments on time. It not only puts the mother in a bind financially, but it is just one more way in which the divorce takes its emotional toll.

Fortunately, there are some things you can do as a divorced mother to collect on past due child support. It’s important to understand that you are not alone in this fight and that there is help available.

  1. Start by contacting the attorney that helped you with your divorce. Let them know what is going on and get some legal advice from that attorney. If you do not currently have an attorney, call Naegle & Crider Attorneys at Law at 480-378-9000.
  1. Check with Arizona’s Child Support Enforcement Division. Federal law requires that the services of the CSED are made available to anyone who requests them. Additionally, the Department of Health and Human Services, Office of Child Support Enforcement has put together a helpful resource called the Handbook on Child Support Enforcement that you can get by clicking here.
  1. Your attorney may work with the Arizona attorney’s office to bring suit against the person who is not making his payments. They have the ability to enforce court-ordered child support payments. Your attorney may also help you collect past due amounts by charging the delinquent spouse with contempt of court and by serving wage assignment orders.

We often hear from desperate mothers looking for help with collecting child support payments. They have many different concerns and questions about their specific situation and what choices they have. Some ask about seizing tax refunds or how far back they can collect. Others are concerned that by pushing too much, they will get their ex-spouse in trouble with the law resulting in jail time. We have answers to these questions based on our experience. Please don’t try and handle collecting back child support on your own. Call Naegle & Crider today at 480-378-9000.

Share To: